If you wish to contribute to Our Creative Space and want to share any photos of dishes made / simple recipes etc please email firstname.lastname@example.org
MOROCCAN CHICKPEA AND LENTIL STEW
This is a vegan dish that I have prepared and enjoyed with my family. It looks and tastes delicious, I invite you to give this recipe a try. Amelia.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil,
- plus extra to serve
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger,
- peeled and finely grated
- 3tbsp tomato purée
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, rinsed and
- 150g brown or green lentils
- Large handful of flat-leaf
- parsley leaves only
- Sea salt and freshly ground black
- To serve Lemon wedges and Sourdough bread
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium heat.
- Then add the onion, celery, carrot and chillies. Sauté
these for about 8 minutes, until your onions have
- Put garlic and spices into the pan along with the ginger
and tomato purée. Constantly stir this for two minutes
to bring out the flavours and smells.
- Crumble the veg stock cube in 1 litre of boiling water
and pour into your dish.
- Then add the tomatoes, chickpeas and lentils and bring
to a boil.
( Using the leftover tins of chopped tomatoes I like to swirl a
small amount of water to remove excess juice, then pour it into
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 40-45
minutes until the lentils are tender and the stew has
thickened a little.
- Stir in half of the parsley. Depending how salty your
veg stock is add up to 2 teaspoons of salt. Also at
this stage add black pepper.
- To serve, spoon it into bowls. Sprinkle over the rest
of the parsley. If you want to, drizzle over some olive
oil, squeeze over some lemon juice. You also may want
some bread to dunk.